What do you use to inspect a tokamak, while it is still online? And what is a tokamak in the first place? A tokamak is a plasma confinement device that holds great promise for generating thermonuclear fusion, explained Energid Technologies in a statement released Thursday. Due to extreme temperatures...(read more)
The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), operators of the stricken Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in the Fukushima Prefecture in Japan, said Thursday it had completed a critical clean-up step by removing the last of the retained water from the underground trenches on the seaside of Units 2 and 3. Underground...(read more)
UKRAINE: The parliament's decision for a temporary reduction of the green tariff earlier this year has not affected wind power investment.
GERMANY: The first foundations were shipped to Vattenfall's 288MW Sandbank site in June, ahead of the start of the monopiles being installed earlier this month.
French nuclear build and engineering giant Areva on Thursday agreed to sell its nuclear division to utility company Electricite de France (EDF) for about $3 billion or about $1 billion shy of its asking price. EDF said Areva had signed a memorandum of understanding – a purchase offer –...(read more)
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Thursday that the Seabrook Station nuclear power plant 13 miles south of Portsmouth, N.H., had been given a passing grade on its environment impact review needed to allow for a 20-year extension of its operating license. “ The supplemental environmental...(read more)
EUROPE: European offshore installations reached a record amount in the first six months of 2015, as 2.3GW was put in the water, but German onshore additions fall.
UK: UK utility Centrica will sell off its interests in all its wind assets and exit the wind sector a year after announcing a halt to offshore investment.
DENMARK: Dong Energy has sold its Frederikshavn offshore wind demonstration site in northern Denmark to EDF Energies Nouvelles (EDF-EN), considering it surplus to requirements.
JAPAN: A 7MW floating offshore wind turbine developed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) has been moored at the Fukushima demonstration site, 20 kilometres offshore.
GERMANY: Nordex has posted pre-tax earnings of €61.5 million in the first half of 2015, an increase of 66% year-on-year.
Statistical press release to announce the publication of the Digest of United Kingdom Energy Statistics (DUKES) and 3 other key publications
The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 30 July 2015 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Edison International has filed a claim against Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for $7.57 billion for losses incurred after defective steam generators were installed in the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant in California, Mitsubishi said Tuesday. Mitsubishi, which says that its total liability for Edison...(read more)
SPAIN: A strong growth of sales in India and Latin America have helped Gamesa revenues grow 30.8% year-on-year to €1.65 billion in the first half of 2015.
GERMANY: Vessels supplier Seajacks will install the foundations at the 402MW Veja Mate offshore project in the German North Sea.
The Energy Department announced that more than 65 organizations are participating in the Better Buildings Alliance's Interior Lighting Campaign, and committing to drive greater energy efficiency through new interior lighting technologies.
The U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) and its Bureau of Ocean Energy Management celebrated a “steel in the water” milestone in Rhode Island for the first commercial offshore wind farm in the United States.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced funding for rural electric infrastructure projects that includes $17 million for smart grid technology.
The effect on a property’s value is usually one of the first things to consider before retrofitting a building with green features.
- Energy Department Works with Partners on Interior Lighting
- DOI Marks Step in Nation’s First Offshore Wind Farm
- USDA Announces $17 Million for Rural Smart Grid Technology
- What’s Green Worth?
- Energy Department Awards $18 Million to Develop Algae Bioproducts and Biofuels
- Solar Decathlon 2015: Nation’s Leading Sustainable Home Design Competition on the Horizon
- Yale University Seeks an Open Approach in Y-House
- Meet a 91-Year-Old NREL Wind Energy Pioneer
- Innovative Wave Power Device Starts Producing Clean Power in Hawaii
- New National Labs Pilot Opens Doors to Small Businesses
- NREL Partnerships to Help the Grid Accommodate More Renewable Energy
- Record-Breaking Solar Flight Reaches Hawaii, Will Remain for Repairs
- Carbon Fiber Technology Facility Set To Scale Up Industry
- U.S. Organizations Recognized for Cutting Parking Facility Energy Use by 60%
- New Analysis Center Releases First Report, Evaluates Opportunities in EV Battery Market
- News story: Statistical press release: Digest of United Kingdom Energy Statistics 2015
- News story: Energy Trends and Prices statistical release: 30 July 2015
- Press release: New offshore oil and gas exploration licences awarded
- News story: Combatting climate change: a vital safety net for families and businesses
- Speech: Secretary of State speech on Climate Change
- Press release: Green Deal Finance Company funding to end
- News story: Two new gas power stations given green light
- Statement to Parliament: Levy Control Framework cost controls
- Press release: Controlling the cost of renewable energy
- News story: Preesall underground gas storage facility receives planning consent
- News story: Government defines Protected Areas for shale developments
- News story: National Grid winter outlook report
- News story: Energy Bill to support energy security
- News story: Green Growth Group Statement: EU ETS Phase IV
- Government response: Secretary of State response to the CMA's provisional findings