You don't have to buy a hybrid car or install solar panels to make changes that have a significant environmental benefit, save money, and are easy to do. Here's a list of 9 Earth Day tips you probably won't find anywhere else. Altogether they could put several hundred dollars back in your pocket due to lower utility bills while preventing around a
As many as 6,000 megawatts of wind power may be blocked from development by France’s military and national weather service, which say they interfere with radar surveillance, a developers’ lobby said.
Mississippi, one of the last states that have not created a net metering policy, might soon have a rule created. On Tuesday, the state Public Service Commission (PSC) voted unanimously to issue rules that will create a framework allowing customers to install rooftop solar and sell excess electricity to their utility company. Public comments are due
Australia’s largest electricity producer committed to close its coal-fired power plants within 35 years as part of an effort to cut the nation’s dependence on the fossil fuel.
Most electricians are referred to as “indoor wiremen” and are experts at installing electrical equipment indoors, but some lack experience working with exposed cables and outdoor equipment bonding. Traditional methods of bonding and grounding include the extensive use of bare copper conductors for equipment bonding. While copper is preferred for bonding steel, it is not the best choice around exposed aluminum members. Aluminum and copper should not come into direct contact due to galvanic corrosion issues. Over time, copper has a tendency to erode aluminum and can even cause structural failure of thin aluminum extrusions when in direct contact.
Brazil will increase the use of renewable energy, target zero net deforestation and push for low-carbon agriculture as part of its climate proposal, Environment Minister Izabella Teixeira said in an interview.
After using last year’s legislative session to deal with Duke Energy’s Dan River coal ash spill, Republicans on the House Public Utilities Committee are bringing back their 2013 attempt to freeze the state’s Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard (REPS). Representatives Millis, Hager, Collins, and Warren introduced House Bill 681
Reflecting the azure skies of the Caribbean, solar panels on private houses, hotels and businesses are an increasingly common sight across all the islands. Many Caribbean customers are seeking a degree of energy independence, which is not surprising given that many pay five or six times as much for their grid-provided electricity than their neighbours in mainland USA.
For so long it seemed like a pipe dream, yet in less than a decade utility-scale solar has reached $100 billion worth of capacity. Figures from the Energy Information Administration show that it delivered 5 percent of California's electricity in 2014. The time has come to evaluate the impact which this technology can have, not just in the United States but globally.
Power tower solar has been under a cloud — in the U.S., anyway — after 321 birds or bats were killed in the first 6 months of operation by flying through solar flux above the Ivanpah Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) plant, the Google-funded colossus in California’s Mojave desert.
The race for renewable energy has passed a turning point. The world is now adding more capacity for renewable power each year than coal, natural gas, and oil combined. And there's no going back.
This is probably not the first place you’ve read about Georgetown, Texas, the town of 55,000 that will be getting the equivalent of 100 percent of its electricity from renewable energy by 2017. But few articles hit upon the two key reasons Georgetown was able to make this move when so many other cities with abundant renewable resources (e.g. Tucson
A "dark horse" is defined as a little-known entity that emerges to prominence in the face of competition — a contestant that seems unlikely to succeed. I borrow the term from a conversation last week, wherein India was referred to as the dark horse in the global race to go solar.
- Energy Department Awards $200 Million for Argonne's Next-Gen Supercomputer
- Energy Department to Fund R&D to Advance Low-Impact Hydropower Technologies
- U.S. Cities Among Latest to Join Global Climate Action Pledge
- USDA Awards Funds to Expand and Accelerate Wood Energy Markets
- Stevens Pioneers a Post-Hurricane Sandy World with SURE HOUSE
- EPA, Energy Department Honor 2015 ENERGY STAR Partners of the Year
- U.N. Report: Global Investment in Renewable Energy Rebounds in 2014
- Energy Department Publishes $1 Million H2 Refuel H-Prize Competition Specs
- Energy Department's Building America Program Seeks Feedback on Proposals
- U.S. Virgin Islands Ramping Up Clean Energy Efforts with an Eye Toward a Sustainable Future
- Energy Department Offers Conditional Loan to Alcoa for Automotive Sector
- Energy Department, DOI, and Army Corps of Engineers Renew Hydropower Partnership
- Cleveland Partners Recognized by Energy Department for Leadership in Saving Energy
- Virginia Receives First Offshore Wind Energy Research Lease in Federal Waters
- National Parks Move Forward on Sustainable Transportation in Partnership with Clean Cities
- News story: Government gets tough on energy market misconduct
- News story: £4.2m for CCS research at Grangemouth
- Press release: UK and Norway: Building links to deliver energy security and prosperity
- News story: Earth Hour 2015
- Press release: Third release of popular Green Deal Home Improvement Fund fully allocated
- Press release: The heat is on to ensure warmer, healthy homes for everyone
- News story: Energy trends and prices statistical release: 26 March 2015
- News story: UK energy statistics: statistical press release - March 2015
- Press release: Cold water could heat one million homes
- Statement to Parliament: UK Green Investment Bank International Pilot
- Speech: Speech at the Association of British Insurers
- News story: Image competition winners show personal impact of climate change
- Press release: Millions saved in one month as switching energy supplier rockets
- Statement to Parliament: Funding the Oil and Gas Authority: consultation on levy design
- News story: Oil industry support set out