An RFP issued in February 2014 is paying off in spades for the solar industry with Duke Energy today announcing that it is making a $500 million commitment to solar power in North Carolina. Duke said that the announcement furthers its commitment to renewable energy, helps diversify its energy portfolio and helps it meet North Carolina’s Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard (REPS).
Germany’s shift toward renewable energy can do without new storage infrastructure in the next two decades as it’s too expensive, according to a new study.
In California, SGB announced an $11 million Series C financing to drive commercial rollout, after reducing the time to maturity from 5 years to 1-2 years in its latest generation of Jatropha hybrids.
The electricity regulator for India’s Tamil Nadu set a price for solar-power producers after failing for the past two years to attract investments to a state that gets about 300 days of sun a year.
In the midst of the rapid growth in its solar photovoltaic (PV) market, Japan is looking into its local resources — forests — to provide racking for PV systems. Several firms in Japan are turning domestic cypress or cedar trees into PV racks, which are traditionally made of metal such as aluminum and steel. A 150-kW PV system owner in Mie prefecture stated that it came naturally to choose wood as racking for environmentally friendly solar energy. The company used cedar wood, which was harvested locally.
- Marine and Hydrokinetic Industry Gets $7 Million Energy Department Investment
- Energy Department Announces $8 Million to Improve Resiliency of the Grid
- Energy Department Awards $4.5 Million for Wind Power Projects
- Project LIBERTY Biorefinery Starts Cellulosic Ethanol Production
- Training Veterans for Careers in Clean Energy
- IEA Forecasts Renewable Power Providing More Competitive Options
- California-Nevada Bikeway Wins EPA Green Transportation Award
- Report: Improvements at U.S. Data Centers Could Save $3 Billion Yearly
- Hawaii Energy Offers State's First-Ever Energy Efficiency Auction
- Small Towns Achieve Big Savings with Lighting Upgrades
- Energy Department Announces $17 Million to Advance Highway Transportation Technologies
- Eight National Labs Collaborating on New Climate Change Project
- DOI Auctions 80,000 Acres Offshore Maryland for Wind Energy Development
- MIT Study: Cutting Greenhouse Gas Emissions Could Pay for Itself
- Road to Fuel Savings: Ford, Magna Partnership Helps Vehicles Shed the Pounds
- News story: Energy Minister backs buy heating oil early campaign
- Speech: The UK government’s vision for a global climate deal
- Press release: Prosperity and growth hand in hand with carbon reduction
- Statement to Parliament: Publication of Paris 2015: Securing our prosperity through a Global Climate Change Agreement
- Speech: Speech to Powering Up!
- News story: Non-domestic RHI events and roadshows
- Speech: Speech to Behave Conference
- News story: Energy trends and prices statistical release: 28 August 2014
- Government response: Response to Sunday Times article on value of homes in areas of shale extraction
- Government response: Response to Sunday Telegraph coverage of constraint payments report
- Press release: Nick Clegg meets Prime Minister Modi in New Delhi
- Press release: Deputy Prime Minister leads first trade delegation to meet new Indian government
- News story: Nick Clegg: India visit
- Press release: World’s biggest tidal array to bring energy and jobs boost to North Scotland
- Government response: Response to Daily Record article on UK oil and gas reserves
- Duke Energy Invests Heavily in Solar
- German Clean Energy Shift Can Ignore Storage for Now, Study Says
- Jatropha Biofuel Around the World: A 13-country Tour of Development Activity
- India’s Tamil Nadu Sets Solar Power Price as Program Stalls
- A Marriage Between Solar and Forest: Japan Promotes Wooden PV Racking Systems
- Belarus proposes limits on wind
- Chile rejigs tender rules to attract bids from renewables
- Downwind: Why didn’t we think of that? Electricity stored as a temperature difference
- Innovation across key industries to quadruple revenues for lithium-ion batteries
- Capital Safety highlights fall protection gear at NSC expo