Wind Power Monthly
Read the latest wind industry & renewable energy companies, policy, wind farm projects & technology news, analysis on Windpower Monthly
Updated: 10 hours 37 min ago
INDIA: India's first reverse bidding wind auction, allocating 1GW of wind projects, defied all expectations with a price of INR 3.46/kWh ($0.052/kWh).
FRANCE/UK: A 1GW interconnector between the UK and France has been given the green light, with support from Siemens, Prysmian Cables and Balfour Beatty.
RUSSIA: Wind power developers and global majors operating in the country have criticised the decision of the government to cut the volume of wind power generation for tender.
SPAIN: Gamesa has reported net profit of €301 million for 2016, a 77% increase on 2015, due to a 36.2% increase in sales volume.
FRANCE: GE's newly acquired blade manufacturer LM Wind Power will open a new factory in northwest France to serve the offshore wind market.
UNITED STATES: GE Renewable Energy has been awarded the turbine supply contract from Juhl Energy for a wind-solar hybrid project in Minnesota, the nation's first.
CANADA: Windstream Energy LLC is going to court to try to collect the C$28 million ($21.3 million) it was awarded after an Ontario offshore wind moratorium put its C$5.2 billion ($4 billion) feed-in tariff (FiT) contract for the 300MW Wolfe Island Shoals in Lake Ontario project on hold.
WORLDWIDE: The combination of Siemens and Gamesa will create a "big four" of original equipment manufactures, after 2016 was dominated by three suppliers, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
ASIA-PACIFIC: Vestas has split its Asian sales unit in two, with one focusing on China and Mongolia, and the other to serve the rest of the Asian-Pacific region.
GERMANY: Wpd's project management subsidiary has designed mechanical protection systems for wind turbines to avoid costly damage.
DENMARK: Three organisations in Denmark have called on the government to replace the current onshore wind support system with a new tender-based structure.
PORTUGAL: Renewables producers will have to repay any financial support received in addition to the feed-in tariff to the national electricity system, according to a decree published by the industry ministry.
SAUDI ARABIA: The government has started proceedings and given further details on a tender for a project of up to 400MW, as announced earlier this month.
GERMANY: Swedish utility Vattenfall's German subsidiary has signed a cooperation agreement with independent wind developer ABO Wind to help build up its so-far neglected German onshore wind sector.
FRANCE: The French government has launched the tender for a 250-750MW offshore wind project off Dunkirk, northern France.
WORLDWIDE: Vestas has retaken first place in leading OEMs, while Siemens has fallen out of the top five for the first time since 2012, according to the preliminary findings of advisory firm FTI Consulting.
UNITED STATES: UK-based oil major BP said it secured the option to buy the required wind turbine components by the end of 2016 in time to qualify for the full $0.023/kWh production tax credit (PTC) to partially repower 400MW of its wind projects.
GERMANY: Developer EnBW has given its final investment decision on the 497MW Hohe See offshore wind project in the North Sea, as Canadian energy firm Enbridge acquires a 49.9% stake.
UNITED STATES: UK firm JDR Cables has been appointed preferred supplier by developer US Wind for its 750MW Maryland offshore wind project, if the site is permitted.
UNITED STATES: GE Renewable Energy has appointed a new onshore wind CEO, after naming Anne McEntee as vice president of its renewable energy services business.
- Energy Department Announces $3 Million for Industry HPC Access
- Lab-Corps Program Announces Second Round of Training for Entrepreneurial Teams at National Labs
- DOI Announces Milestone for Wind Energy Development Off New York's Shore
- Eagles are Making Wind Turbines Safer for Birds
- Energy Department Announces $25 Million for Next-Gen Electric Machines
- DOE’s Small Business Vouchers Pilot Selects 33 for Lab Collaboration
- Energy Department Announces Denver as Location for 2017 Solar Decathlon
- Mid-Winter Check In and Getting Ready for Spring
- Energy Department Announces $80 Million to Increase SuperTruck Efficiency
- Energy Department Announces $22 Million for Marine Energy Projects
- Energy Department Announces Finalists Vying for Wave Energy Prize
- Energy Department Solid-State Lighting Efforts Spark New Paradigm
- DOE Launches $40 Million Effort to Improve Materials for Clean Energy Solutions
- West Palm Beach, Florida, Announces Bigger Energy-Saving Goal, New Efficiency Upgrades
- Energy Department Recognizes Orlando Better Buildings Challenge Partners
- Biotechnology Innovation Organization Supports EPA Proposal for Biofuel Feedstocks Under Renewable Fuel Standard
- Chinese Firm Prepares to Build 30-MW Biomass Plant in West Africa
- University of Iowa Plans Coal-free Future; Biomass Program Ramping Up
- 5 Issues to Watch as India Reaches for Ambitious Energy Access Target
- My 2017 Solar Resolution — Inspiring Dialogue with Key Solar Influencers