Wind Power Monthly
Read the latest wind industry & renewable energy companies, policy, wind farm projects & technology news, analysis on Windpower Monthly
Updated: 2 hours 29 min ago
UK: The future of wind power in the UK was thrown into further doubt after the country voted to leave the European Union in a referendum on 23 June.
AFRICA: A new pan-African power development joint venture has been created between Nigeria's semi-public Africa Finance Corporation (AFC) and South Africa's Harith General Partners, operating nearly 1.6GW of renewable capacity.
AFRICA: Lekela Power has acquired the development rights to a 158MW wind project in Senegal, and has received funding from the International Finance Corporation (IFC) to invest across Africa.
GERMANY: GE Renewable Energy and UKA Group have agreed a 250MW framework deal covering 12 projects in Germany.
UK: Cable supplier JDR has signed a framework agreement with Bibby Offshore, specialists in subsea construction, inspection and maintenance services.
UK: Siemens will unveil a new turbine platform in the next five years, hinting at a 10GW+ turbine as it targets €80/MWh by 2025.
UK: Food giant Nestlé has signed a 15-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with developer Community Windpower to buy electricity from a new nine-turbine wind farm in south-west Scotland.
UK: The consolidation of manufacturers is worrying the offshore industry, which sees competition as critical to keep moving the sector forward, said Vattenfall UK country manger and director of offshore wind development Piers Guy.
UK: The offshore industry needs to move away from saying what is needed, and instead show what it can offer, RenewableUK CEO Hugh McNeal has said.
UK: British-based offshore wind consultancy Aarufield and German renewables specialists 8.2 Consulting have joined forces to create 8.2 Aarufield.
SOUTH KOREA: RES and Dohwa Engineering have signed a memorandum of onderstanding (MoU) to cooperate on offshore wind development in the Korean peninsula.
DENMARK: Offshore joint venture Adwen and Danish blade producer LM Windpower have partnered to produce an 88.4-metre blade for the manufacturer's 8MW turbine.
AUSTRALIA: The Victoria government has announced "ambitious" renewable energy targets (RET) in a bid to restore investors' confidence, lost by the federal government's indecision last year.
UK: The Carbon Trust has been awarded £1.5 million (€1.9 million) by the Scottish government to aid companies through the offshore wind accelerator (OWA) programme.
UK: A group of MPs has called on the government to break up the UK's system operator National Grid, in favour of a US-style independent system operator model.
UNITED STATES: Vestas has signed a conditional agreement with MidAmerican Energy to supply the 2GW Wind XI complex in Iowa, northern US.
GERMANY/SPAIN: Siemens has signed a binding agreement with Gamesa to merge the two companies' wind businesses, creating an OEM with a 69GW installed base worldwide.
ITALY: Spanish developer Iberdrola has sold 245MW of wind assets in Italy to local firm CEF 3 Wind Energy for €193.7 million.
EUROPE: Siemens has signed a partnership deal with temporary structures specialist Herchenbach to provide semi-permanent warehouses and workshops to projects in Europe.
GERMANY: German onshore wind installations could shrink by up to 20% in 2016, about the same reduction as 2015, indicated Hermann Albers, president of federal wind energy association Bundesverband Windenergie (BWE).
- Energy Department Announces $3 Million for Industry HPC Access
- Lab-Corps Program Announces Second Round of Training for Entrepreneurial Teams at National Labs
- DOI Announces Milestone for Wind Energy Development Off New York's Shore
- Eagles are Making Wind Turbines Safer for Birds
- Energy Department Announces $25 Million for Next-Gen Electric Machines
- DOE’s Small Business Vouchers Pilot Selects 33 for Lab Collaboration
- Energy Department Announces Denver as Location for 2017 Solar Decathlon
- Mid-Winter Check In and Getting Ready for Spring
- Energy Department Announces $80 Million to Increase SuperTruck Efficiency
- Energy Department Announces $22 Million for Marine Energy Projects
- Energy Department Announces Finalists Vying for Wave Energy Prize
- Energy Department Solid-State Lighting Efforts Spark New Paradigm
- DOE Launches $40 Million Effort to Improve Materials for Clean Energy Solutions
- West Palm Beach, Florida, Announces Bigger Energy-Saving Goal, New Efficiency Upgrades
- Energy Department Recognizes Orlando Better Buildings Challenge Partners
- Speech: Government’s vision for shale gas in securing home grown energy supplies for the UK
- News story: Greater security for North Sea Oil and Gas as Energy Bill becomes law
- Press release: New Permanent Secretary for the Department of Energy and Climate Change
- News story: Head of Independent Review of Tidal Lagoons announced
- News story: Securing the UK’s electricity supply
- Speech: Realising the vision for a new fleet of nuclear power stations
- Speech: HM Treasury analysis on the EU referendum: George Osborne's speech
- News story: Amber Rudd statement on the death of Sir David MacKay
- Press release: UK, US and EU sign landmark deal to turn nuclear material into cancer-fighting treatment
- Press release: UK energy statistics: statistical press release - March 2016
- Press release: Electric shock of Brexit could see UK energy costs rocket by half a billion pounds
- Speech: Amber Rudd’s speech on the energy benefits of staying in the EU
- News story: 5 reasons why we are backing Hinkley Point C
- News story: Biggest ever investigation into energy market builds on what government is doing to keep bills down
- News story: New Permanent Secretary for Ministry of Defence
- Cleantech University Prize Highlights Next Generation of Clean Energy Innovators
- Tokyo Firm Taps Biomass in Japan for Market-Leading Gains
- How Canada Went Geothermal, and How the US Will, Too
- UK’s Renewable Energy Future Vulnerable Following Vote to Exit EU
- Natural Gas: Bridge or Barrier to a Clean Energy Future?