California Gov. Jerry Brown on Sept. 27 signed four new bills into law that will boost both behind-the-meter and utility energy storage capacity. Incorporated within one bill – AB 2868 – the state government directs California's investor-owned utilities (IOUs) to ramp up their acquisition of distributed energy storage capacity by exploring the feasibility of investing in an additional 500 MW.
Can a home be beautiful, powered entirely by solar energy, use sustainable heating and cooling systems and save it’s owners roughly $3,500 a year? Why, yes it can. Just ask Joanne Coons, who built her award winning, single-family, Net Zero Energy Home in 2010. Sustainable Woman Joanne talks Net Zero standards, efficient appliances and goods, her 10kW solar panels and more.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on Tuesday heard oral arguments in the State of West Virginia v. EPA, the case challenging the legal basis of the Obama Administration’s Clean Power Plan.
Sunshine and Ownership: A Cooperative Solar Garden Blooms in North Minneapolis - Episode 34 of Local Energy Rules Podcast
When people pay their electric bill to an investor-owned utility such as Minnesota’s Xcel Energy, they are generating energy for themselves, but the profit and wealth accrues to the utility’s investors.
Certain anti-solar forces are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to convince everyone (though the popular press and consumers are the main targets) that solar customers are stealing money from non-solar customers.
Hamburg Senator for Trade, Transport and Innovation Frank Horch last week initiated trial operations of an energy storage facility that was built with 2,600 used battery modules from more than 100 electric vehicles.
- Energy Department Announces $3 Million for Industry HPC Access
- Lab-Corps Program Announces Second Round of Training for Entrepreneurial Teams at National Labs
- DOI Announces Milestone for Wind Energy Development Off New York's Shore
- Eagles are Making Wind Turbines Safer for Birds
- Energy Department Announces $25 Million for Next-Gen Electric Machines
- DOE’s Small Business Vouchers Pilot Selects 33 for Lab Collaboration
- Energy Department Announces Denver as Location for 2017 Solar Decathlon
- Mid-Winter Check In and Getting Ready for Spring
- Energy Department Announces $80 Million to Increase SuperTruck Efficiency
- Energy Department Announces $22 Million for Marine Energy Projects
- Energy Department Announces Finalists Vying for Wave Energy Prize
- Energy Department Solid-State Lighting Efforts Spark New Paradigm
- DOE Launches $40 Million Effort to Improve Materials for Clean Energy Solutions
- West Palm Beach, Florida, Announces Bigger Energy-Saving Goal, New Efficiency Upgrades
- Energy Department Recognizes Orlando Better Buildings Challenge Partners
- Press release: Statement from Greg Clark, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- News story: DECC in the Media blog
- News story: Government announces Capacity Market auction parameters
- Government response: Committee on Climate Change report and government response on the compatibility of UK onshore petroleum with meeting the UK’s carbon budgets
- Press release: Opportunities identified for oil and gas sector workforce
- Speech: Andrea Leadsom speech to Utility Week Energy Summit
- GreenWish Plans to Build 100 MW Solar Capacity in North Nigeria
- Clinton Says The ‘Clean Energy Economy’ Will Create Millions of Jobs. Can It?
- North Carolina Regulators Agree to Delay Power Mandates for Animal Waste
- Now that Solar is Cost Competitive, Utilities are Taking Aim at This 1978 Energy Law
- Lake Erie’s Icebreaker Offshore Wind Project Moves to Scoping Phase