On Tuesday at a breakfast meeting during DistribuTECH, Julia Hamm, CEO and President of the Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA), and Sharon Allan, CEO and President of Smart Grid Interoperability Panel (SGIP), announced their intent to merge the two organizations under the SEPA brand and organizational umbrella.
Testing for the demonstration of a first-of-its-kind energy storage collaborative project in Hawai‘i now is complete. The customer-sited storage fleet provides 1 MW of storage services across 29 customer sites to accommodate renewable energy resources on the O‘ahu grid.
An electricity cooperative association in Texas last week said that it will host a 200-kWh energy storage system at its distribution center in Georgetown, Texas, to support training and education for its members.
European Marine Energy Centre announced it won the Marine and Hydro Energy award presented at the Rushlight Awards 2016-17, according to an EMEC press release.
The week promises to see two important actions impacting federal environmental regulation. Continuing to churn out executive orders, President Donald Trump signed the long-promised order requiring federal agencies to eliminate two regulations for every one proposed—starting in 2017.
In the mid-1970s, following the oil embargoes as a U.S. Senate energy aide, those of us promoting a clean energy future were ridiculed. While we had public support, we lacked the analytical back-up because these technological approaches were so new, and the emerging industries were so immature. Visionaries like Amory Lovins and Dennis Hayes worked mightily to fill that gap.
Dr. Susan G. Hamm brings with her an impressive portfolio that includes operations, budget and management, and a background in the geological sciences. The new director of the Geothermal Technologies Office sat down with me recently to discuss her new role as she leads efforts to improve performance, lower costs, and accelerate deployment of geothermal technologies.
In the year following the signing of the Paris Agreement in 2015, there was an increased interest in building a broad spectrum of financial solutions that can both deliver on commitments to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions and deliver in the unique markets of disparate countries.
Tesla Motors Inc. is making a huge bet that millions of small batteries can be strung together to help kick fossil fuels off the grid. The idea is a powerful one—one that’s been used to help justify the company’s $5 billion factory near Reno, Nev.—but batteries have so far only appeared in a handful of true, grid-scale pilot projects.
There’s been much written about solar PV storage in recent months. Tesla and Elon Musk are working hard to develop it and other renewable companies, including British-born ones, are beginning to follow suit. The equation is fairly simple — if we can store energy for when the sun isn’t shining, then solar becomes a whole lot more viable.
Amazon Web Services will purchase power from what will be Virginia’s largest solar farm to power the company’s data centers.
- Energy Department Announces $3 Million for Industry HPC Access
- Lab-Corps Program Announces Second Round of Training for Entrepreneurial Teams at National Labs
- DOI Announces Milestone for Wind Energy Development Off New York's Shore
- Eagles are Making Wind Turbines Safer for Birds
- Energy Department Announces $25 Million for Next-Gen Electric Machines
- DOE’s Small Business Vouchers Pilot Selects 33 for Lab Collaboration
- Energy Department Announces Denver as Location for 2017 Solar Decathlon
- Mid-Winter Check In and Getting Ready for Spring
- Energy Department Announces $80 Million to Increase SuperTruck Efficiency
- Energy Department Announces $22 Million for Marine Energy Projects
- Energy Department Announces Finalists Vying for Wave Energy Prize
- Energy Department Solid-State Lighting Efforts Spark New Paradigm
- DOE Launches $40 Million Effort to Improve Materials for Clean Energy Solutions
- West Palm Beach, Florida, Announces Bigger Energy-Saving Goal, New Efficiency Upgrades
- Energy Department Recognizes Orlando Better Buildings Challenge Partners
- Biotechnology Innovation Organization Supports EPA Proposal for Biofuel Feedstocks Under Renewable Fuel Standard
- Chinese Firm Prepares to Build 30-MW Biomass Plant in West Africa
- University of Iowa Plans Coal-free Future; Biomass Program Ramping Up
- 5 Issues to Watch as India Reaches for Ambitious Energy Access Target
- My 2017 Solar Resolution — Inspiring Dialogue with Key Solar Influencers